The Abandoned Devil’s Monastery, Seville, Spain

The abandoned Monasterio del Diablo, otherwise known as the monastery of “Huerta de San José” or “Monasterio Maldito”, dates all the way back to the 17th Century.

Situated in one of Spain’s oldest and most beautiful towns, Carmona, the monastery is perched on top of a hill surrounded by vast farmland and Roman Empire ruins. As of now, it has been sitting derelict for over half a century and its walls hold the stories of the past including the mass murder of the friars who built it.


The History of the Monasterio del Diablo, Spain

Abandoned Religious Carmona Monastery in Sevilla, Spain │ Abandoned World Photography Urbex

In 1620, a group of Franciscan-Dominican friars built the monastery to serve as a convent, chapel and boarding school for the local townspeople.

In 1680, a new monk, Don Jaime Malvidas, joined the convent but soon after had a terrifying experience that he was later arrested for reporting to the police.

A document recounting the series of events was signed by the Archbishop of Jerez overseen by the local bailiff, Alonso Sanz de Heredia.


The Mass Murder of the Carmona Monks

According to the historical document, one morning, when Jaime Malvidas woke up, he did not find the door of his cell open as usual. It was the custom to close it with a bolt from outside after ‘Vespers’, when the Dominicans retired to rest. It would then be opened from outside the next day at dawn time.

Thinking it was earlier than he had believed, Malvidas devoted himself to his prayers and meditations. He then heard some quiet steps that came from outside in the corridor and stopped just inside the door of his cell, opening it with a bang. Mysteriously, when he peered out there was no one there.

Thinking that he was late and that the mass had already begun, he ran to the chapel. When he arrived at the chapel he found no one, but heard some noises that appeared to come from the kitchen. He then realised they were in fact emanating from the basement.

Peering into the basement he saw all the other friars hanging from the hooks that were used to hang the hams and chorizos that the Franciscan brothers cured.

According to reports, a fire immediately spread throughout the basement and at that moment the frightened friar came running out screaming “Go and say that Satan is here”.

The next day, the local countrymen armed with crosses and Bibles approached the convent, knocking down the doors and entering the building. It was at this time that an earthquake occurred, damaging the building beyond repair.

The building has never been used since and there is no reports online of it’s future.

Enjoy the photography slideshow below and don’t forget to follow Abandoned World Photography for regular urbex updates on Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.

Leave a Reply